Do visit our offsite facility too: the historically furnished Kramer-Widow’s Apartment directly by St. Michaelis Church.
The „Krameramt“ was the Guild of the Shopkeepers, whose statutes date back to 1375. They had their per-manent stalls or shops in the city and traded mainly in spices, silk and iron wares.
In 1676 the wealthy guild built these houses to provide room for the widows of its members. The guild’s aim was to re-accommodate the widows and hence to vacate premises for new members in the shops. A plaque on the wall facing the land gives the date of construction as 1676 and indicates that the houses were a charitable foundation.